E-marine leads the market as a submarine cable turnkey provider

English

By Farah Hassan

E-marine is a turnkey provider for submarine cable installation and maintenance and has been there in existence since the past three decades, providing the much-needed infrastructure of laying and maintaining submarine cables, which are the backbone of the telecommunications systems.  

E-marine established the first sub-sea cable ship in the Middle East region and landed the first communication cables in the UAE for better communication with neighboring countries. The company now has a fleet of four fully equipped cable ships and a newly acquired Multi-Purpose Vessel, with state-of-the-art facilities.

E-marine’s vessels are all equipped with the latest survey, cable laying and navigation equipment, and cable management systems. E-marine provides a complete range of subsea telecommunication and off-shore energy cables for the telecoms, and oil and gas industries. Through our services, we ensure that UAE is well connected to the rest of the world.

In an exclusive interview with Marasi News, Omar Bin Kalban, Managing Director and CEO of E-marine explored the company’s significant projects and its leading position in the market.  Bin Kalban pointed out “We started with one cable ship and now have a fleet of 5 and one special purpose barge. In this way, we have contributed to the empowerment of marine sector in the region and will continue to do so as per our need to cater to future business requirements.”

A market leader in Telecommunication Submarine Cables

The vision of E-marine is to be the trusted partner for all underwater solutions. Nearly 98% of all communications needed are through submarine cables and the remaining 2% via satellites. Bin Kalban explained “We are one of the few service providers globally, that enables lay and maintain these critical infrastructures. Our hard work over all these years has paid and today with more than 40 installations, 300 repair operations, more than 25,000 KM of installed cables, and maintenance of more than 100,000 KM of submarine cables, we have surely realized this goal. We will continue to strive and achieve new milestones in the future.”

Recently, E-marine has successfully restored the 10,000 kilometer underwater “EASSy” cable which was damaged on the east coast of Africa, in Somalian waters. “Maram” cable ship was deployed to conduct the repair in a rugged terrain with adverse monsoons and wind speeds touching nearly 100km/hr and waves reaching a height of 8-9 meters. “Maram” is the best-in-class cable ship designed to manage the installation and maintenance of all types of submarine cables, including fiber optic telecommunications cables and energy cables. 

The importance of AAE-1 Submarine Cable System

AAE-1 (Asia-Africa-Europe 1) is a submarine cable from South East Asia to Europe across Egypt, connecting Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, India, Pakistan, Oman, UAE, Yemen, Djibouti, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Greece, Italy and France. The AAE-1 consortium signed the construction and maintenance agreement in Hong Kong on January 27, 2014. The AAE-1 cable construction was completed in the first half of 2017.This cable is going to help meet the demand of high-speed broadband market across Asia, Africa and Europe. Bin Kalban said “We are also proud of the fact that E-marine has been appointed by AAE-1 consortium to maintain and provide storage facilities to 11,500 km of cable system covering the region from Zafrana in Egypt to Sri Lanka. We consider it an achievement to be part of this prestigious and global project that will connect such a large network covering countries across the globe. This project underlines the trust the industry places in E-marine.”

E-marine and the Future of Smart Shipping

E-marine is committed to the progress and empowerment of the region. Bin Kalban emphasized “In 2016, we inducted “Maram” in our fleet, which was proudly built in UAE and is the most modern, “GreenPlus” cable ship in the world, ever built. It is the first eco-friendly cable ship in the world. The ship is highly fuel efficient: Consumption of fuel according to the generated power almost 23% less than the conventional vessels.”

Energy saving efficiency is high. Machinery notation issued by IMO & endorsed by class (RINA). Level of nitrogen oxide & sulfur oxide produced is at bare minimum levels, almost zero and hence the environmental damage is almost nil compared to other conventional vessels. Bin Kalban added “This year we added an advanced multi-purpose vessel Athba to our fleet. Expansion of our fleet with sophisticated technology has and will continue to contribute towards the smart future of shipping.”

Top